Since 2007, the Weston Family Awards in Northern Research have provided unparalleled support to early career scientists in Canada pursuing research in Canada’s North. These annual awards are some of the most prestigious in the country for students pursuing a master’s degree, a doctoral degree or postdoctoral fellowship. Over 350 graduate students and postdoctoral fellows have been selected to receive an award since the program’s inception, forming a community of Weston Family Northern Scientists who are at the forefront of northern scholarship and who are helping shape a better future for Canada and the world.
Weston Family Awards in Northern Research winners undertake projects across a broad spectrum of fields and disciplines in the natural sciences, including studies of northern ecosystems, biodiversity, flora and fauna, meteorology, oceanography, glaciology, geography and environmental studies.
In the 2024 program year, the Weston Family Foundation will aim to support the following awards:
- Up to 15 awards for master’s level students. Each award is valued at $20,000 over one year.
- Up to 10 awards for doctoral students. Each award is valued at $40,000 each year for three years.
- Up to 5 awards for postdoctoral fellows. Each award is valued at $55,000 each year for two years plus up to $10,000 per year for travel and conference expenses.
- October 26th – 2024 contest opens
- November 22nd – informational webinar (register here!)
- January 16th, 2024 – contest closes
- May, 2024 – Awardees will be contacted